Top 30 career tips to help you to be more effective in your job, work or career.
1. Consider all parts of your life when you change your career, e.g. work/life balance, salary, career progression.
2. Have a career plan. Do you know where you want to be in 1, 5 or 10 years time?
3. On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you with work right now? What would make it a 10? How will you get there?
4. What three things are annoying you in your job? Write them down. What can you do to reduce their effect on you?
5. What three things do you enjoy about your job? How can you make these even better?
6. If you want to change your career, first find out about other opportunities in your organisation.
7. Understand what your strengths are. Then make sure these are recognised and work to these strengths.
8. When was the last time you did a SWOT analysis on yourself? Take 10 minutes now to list these.
9. Want to change your career? What are your transferrable skills and strengths? What job or industry inspires you?
10. Never stop learning.
11. To future-proof your career, keep up to date with technology. What skills do you need for your job and in the future?
12. CV stands for Curriculum Vitae, which means Life List. Your CV should sell your unique skills but not tell your life story!
13. Create a personal profile for your CV to outline your main achievements, skills and abilities to make recruiters read on.
14. Create a record of your achievements and successes, as well as your professional development plans for your future.
15. Listen to your colleagues, boss, and peers. You can learn a lot from their experience and knowledge.
16. Want to learn something new, but feel stuck in your job? Ask for extra responsibilities or a new project.
17. Develop your perfect pitch. Who are you and what do you do? How do you convince someone to hire you?
18. Join a professional organisation to meet potential contacts or organisations, & attend interesting presentations.
19. Build and maintain professional networks both in and outside of your organisation.
20. People make a first impression of you within the first few minutes of meeting you. Tips – eye contact, firm handshake, smile!
21. Embrace the change going on around you. See each change as a new opportunity to grow, learn and develop.
22. If you want to make changes in your job, stop moaning or worrying and take action. What’s the worst or best that can happen?
23. Who do you want to meet to get ahead in your career? What can you do today to do this?
24. Do you want a pay rise or promotion? Ask yourself what you have done to deserve this. If you have enough reasons, just go for it!
25. Go on a complaints diet. Avoid negativity, office politics and unhelpful comments.
26. When someone asks ‘how are you?’ instead of saying ‘fine’, ‘not bad’ or ‘OK’, say something more positive instead.
27. Be a coach at work. Ask great questions, listen attentively and help others to succeed.
28. Ask for feedback from your colleagues, managers and peers and work on their tips.
29. Learn from others, observe their skills, talents and abilities.
30. Become a mentor for others and share your own knowledge and learning.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3734696